Blyth East Pier

Header for Blog posts

At the end of Blyth’s East Pier, this lighthouse has guided generations of vessels through the harbour entrance.

A light was first established here in 1884, with the present 14-metre tower completed in July 1907. Built as Blyth’s harbour expanded around its coal trade, it helped guide colliers, fishing boats and other shipping safely into the River Blyth.

The industries around it have changed enormously, but the East Pier Lighthouse remains an active aid to navigation – a proper survivor from Blyth’s maritime past at the entrance to a port now closely associated with offshore energy.

This article is from Northern Perspectives – documenting the landmarks that continue to tell the North’s industrial story. For more information see www.northern-perspectives.co.uk

Please leave a comment HERE