Wreck of the Brighouse on the Sevenstones 1887

CREW AT PENZANCE. The crew of the steamer Brighouse, of Cardiff, were brought yesterday from the Seven Stones lightship to Penzance by the Trinity steamer Alert.

The Brighouse left Bordeaux for Cardiff on the ?th inst. with a cargo of pitwood. She anchored for little while in Verdun Roads, and then proceeded on her voyage. On Monday, the 12th, four o’clock, she struck the Seven Stones. She was steaming half-speed at the time, and had man on the lookout, but the weather was thick the time and he could see nothing; neither could be bear the fog signal which was being sounded on board the lightship, distant about a mile and a half.

The Brighouse foundered in about three-quarters of hour. Meantime the crew took to their two boats, leaving everything behind. They proceeded to the lightship, on board of which they were taken. There they had remained until yesterday.

The crew of the lightship showed distress signals day and night from the time the shipwrecked crew came on board, but no notice was taken of them until Tuesday, when the schooner Advance, Plymouth, Captain Laity, observed them, and bore up. With considerable difficulty, owing to the heavy seas, one of the crew of the lightship was transferred to the Advance, which brought him to Penzance, where he reported the matter.

The Trinity steamer Alert proceeded yesterday to the Seven Stones, and, as already stated, brought the shipwrecked men, fifteen all told, to Penzance, most of them proceeding home by the mail train.

The Brighouse was tons register, and owned by the Brighouse Steamship Company, of Cardiff. The following communication has been sent to us for publication

The crew of the Brighouse, steamship, wish to return sincerest thanks for the kind and humane treatment they received on board the Seven Stones Lightship, which they boarded after the loss of their steamer on the South Stone. Everything that could be done the master and crew to attract the attention of the people on the Scilly Islands, firing rockets at night and flying the distress signals by day, was done, but without avail.

While we were on board we could not help being struck with the admirable system and discipline, which prevailed, and the vigilance and watchfulness of the master and crew are beyond praise. When we shook hands with them on leaving we felt as we were parting with old friends, and we took last look at the vessel it was with the feeling of parting with very old friend indeed. After being on board nine days must testify that the kindness received us from all board is beyond all praise. We are sorry to relate severe accident to one of the light vessel’s crew (Peter Pender), who had his leg seriously injured by being thrown with great violence against the vessel’s side while attending to our comfort. This considerably damped the spirits of all – Thomas Tbeccrtha, master, and for the crew of the steamship Brighouse, of Cardiff.

Western Morning News – Thurs 22/12/1887